Korean Marinated Beef - Bulgogi (불고기)

0 comments

Partly inspired by the mouthwatering bulgogi we had in Seoul and partly because I had to feed Matthias with something since he is not a fan of Japchae unlike Elaina, I daringly took up the challenge to recreate the dish at home.

It was no mean feat having to grill the pieces one by one.   The first attempt was a flop.  Due to the lack of time and in order make sure the kids get to school in time and fed with lunch, I ended up "stir-frying" the meat.  It didn't work very well unfortunately (but not quite unexpected).  By the third try, I was adamant to follow the recipe as closely as possible especially since I have a Korean pear sitting in the fridge.  I wanted to test it myself if the pear can tenderise the beef as claimed.  It didn't turn out too badly.  But I admit I am more inclined to say that the method used for Chinese stir-fried beef wins hand down in this aspect.  Although to a certain extend, its not the same cooking method so it really isn't a fair comparison.


Ingredients:

  • 300 gm sirloin beef (sliced)
  • 3 tablespoons Korean regular soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 onion (sliced)
  • 1 spring onion (diced)
  • 1/2 tablespoon sesame seed
  • Pinch of black pepper
  • 50 gm pureed pear
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine
  • Sliced shitake mushroom and/or julienned carrots (optional)


Preparation:

  • Mix all ingredients and leave beef to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
  • Grill beef using griddle or pan over high heat.
  • Sprinkle over with some sesame seed (optional).
  • Serve over rice and with lettuce as a wrap.
Most recipes did not call for the meat to be grilled in individual pieces.  I did so in this attempt since I have time and I wanted to get the done-ness right.  The vegetables (onions in this case) was stir-fried after that and added to the beef.

Number of Servings: 4